You are here

“Minding the Gap”: Bridging the Gaps in Cultural Change Within the Early Bronze Age Aegean

“Minding the Gap”: Bridging the Gaps in Cultural Change Within the Early Bronze Age Aegean

Download Article PDF (Open Access)

In one of the arguments about the Early Cycladic (EC) III “gap” in material culture, Jeremy Rutter recognized the Anatolianizing Kastri/Lefkandi I assemblage to be of great importance for developments in ceramics on the Early Helladic mainland. Now accepted by most scholars as having appeared in the EC/Early Helladic (EH) IIB period, rather than EC/EH III, the Kastri/Lefkandi I assemblage is not thought to be a coherent, unified package of material and social culture. Instead, there is great variation among regions of mainland Greece in how (and when) various components of the Kastri/Lefkandi I assemblage were adopted. This article explores the impact of Kastri/Lefkandi I shapes on the material culture and feasting practices of the Early Helladic mainland.

By Daniel J. Pullen

American Journal of Archaeology Vol. 117, No. 4 (October 2013), pp. 545–553

DOI: 10.3764/aja.117.4.0545

© 2013 Archaeological Institute of America